A Great Alternative to Lasagna or Baked Ziti!
Cut your carbs, fat, and calories by at least half with this recipe using zucchini instead of pasta, low-fat cheese, healthy fats and whole grain bread crumbs.
Here is how to make it...
• 3-4 green zucchinis
• Homemade or jar of tomato sauce
• Olive oil or other healthy oil
• Box of whole wheat Panko crumbs or whole grain bread crumbs
• Bag of 2% shredded mozzarella cheese
• A few ounces of grated locatellior parmesean cheese
• Seasonings such as salt, pepper, seasoned salt
• Slice zucchini the long way like lasagna strips
• In one bowl or tray pour oil and in another bowl or tray pour bread crumbs and add seasoning such as salt and pepper or seasoned salt to flavor
• Dip strips of zucchini into oil and then into bread crumbs to coat
• In deep baking dish add a bit of sauce into bottom of pan
• Add a layer of zucchini strips
• Add sauce on top of zucchini
• Add shredded mozzarella and sprinkle parmasan cheese.
• Repeat, layering zucchini, sauce and cheese until all zucchini is used
• Bake at 350-375 degrees covered until bubbling and heated through. Uncover and bake until cheese is lightly browned.
• Take out and allow to cool a bit
• Take a paper towel and place in pan where there is excess oil to absorb. Always a good idea to remove the excess oil you can see to reduce the amount of fat in your meals. Using paper towels is a quick and easy trick to do this.
• Slice and serve
• Makes approximately 10 servings
• Each serving is approx 200 calories, 10 or less grams of fat, 18 grams of carbs, 3 grams of fiber and 11 grams of protein.
• Food servings: 2 fat, .5 grains, 1 vegetables, 2.5 protein
This dish has lot less fat and carbohydrates then you will find in a traditional lasagna and tastes so good!
• ISSA Certified Personal Fitness Trainer
• AFFA Certified Group Fitness Instructor
• NASM Certified Fitness Nutrition Specialist
• Specialize in: - Kickboxing - Strength Training - High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)